Tuesday, April 12, 2005

MARKETING ART

Andy Warhol once said, "After making art, comes business art. And sometimes figuring out how to market your art requires the greatest creativity of all."

I tend to be more right-brained. Making new films, writing songs, acting, all flow from my desire to express myself creatively. I have been a prolific writer, but often I have been unaware or even disdainful of those who focus on marketing art as a commodity.

To support myself in Hollywood, I have sometimes worked B jobs related to marketing other films for major and minor studios. I have slowly learned that the film markets are like bizarres, and film is a product. Focus groups dictate whether new TV shows and films are sellable. This is hard for me, but a valuable lesson I have to learn.

The Internet and new digital technologies have made it possible for anyone with storytelling talent to make a film or a CD of music for a fraction of the cost it used to. It is new, uncharted territory for marketing as well. A band or a movie can gain a strong following and make money through specific niche marketing, and internet sales, without ever going through the middleman of a distributor.

If marketing is not your strongest forte, turn it over to God, and ask Him to make the way clear to you. Ultimately, your art can be married to the appreciative audience God designed for it. And to receive an update on my marketing ideas, and creative film and music projects, shoot me an email at : richard_rossi@lycos.com

3 Comments:

Blogger Michele Carbello said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

April 21, 2005 at 6:04 PM  
Blogger Michele Carbello said...

The term "Marketing & Sales" tends to be overwhelming to people that may not have had much exposure to it. For myself, my entire career has been just that, Marketing & Sales within the Healthcare industry. Although the products may have changed during the duration of my career, one thing has remained constant; the process.
Marketing & Sales can be summed up in one word: "relationships."
It's all in how you present yourself. Studies have shown that a prospective buyer only hears about 10-20% of what you say, the other 80-90% is all in how you present yourself. You also only have about 30-60 seconds to command their attention. They will know in that amount of time if they are interested in you and your product.

Most people do not realize that they already posess the tools needed to market and sell. They do it on a daily basis without knowing it. In simple terms they are selling themselves ( building relationships) all the time. In the supermarket, at the drugstore. Anytime you speak to a stranger you are selling yourself. We all have the tools and do it regularly, we just don't label it.

So Richard, you are absolutely fabulous at Marketing and Sales, it's all in your perception of it.

God Bless you my friend.

April 21, 2005 at 6:17 PM  
Blogger Richard Rossi said...

Thanks, for this great reminder, Michelle. I used to mystify things that a film or music COMPANY, (as in, institution, impersonal, monolithic beast) buys an independent film or artist, but it is people who buy, people within a company who the art speaks to and who see a niche market audience for it.

April 22, 2005 at 11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home