Monday, December 03, 2012

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KARIS



My daughter Karis turns 24 tomorrow. Wow. Seems like yesterday she was born. Her labor was tough. 12 hours straight. Her head came out like a conehead and scared me. The doctor said "It's okay, the head does that to make it through. It'll go back to normal."

The doc was right. She turned out beautiful. I named her "Karis" after reading Ephesians 2:8 in the Greek New Testament. The Greek word for "grace" is "Karis." My wife Sherrie liked the name so it stuck.

Growing up, I picked a song by the Carpenters as Karis theme song and I've sung it to her ever since she was a kid. The words go: "On the day that you were born, the angels got together and decided to create a dream come true. So they sprinkled moondust in your hair of gold and starlight in your eyes of blue..."

I never spanked her. I think hitting kids is wrong. I got a lot of grief about this from my fundamentalist friends. "Spare the rod and spoil the child..." they said. "You better spank your kids or they'll turn out bad..." "Are you gonna use the rod on them?"

I replied by quoting Psalm 23 back at the Bible-bangers: "Thy rod and thy staff comfort me..." I told them "You can try hitting with your kids but I'll try comforting my kids and giving them grace."

My heart said "Love them and everything will be okay." Thank God I didn't listen to the "give your kids a good spanking" crowd.

Karis you turned out beautiful inside and out, I'm proud of you. Remember as you're growing up that you can do it without growing up. In other words, remain childlike. Regular Disneyland visits will help with this. And realize you're rich because you have two eyes that can see, two ears that can hear. two legs that can dance. and you can do good things for good people.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KARIS!!!
.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home