Saturday, July 19, 2014

FATHER SACRIFICES SON. BELIEVED GOD TOLD HIM TO DO IT

The California man in the above January 1990 story was arrested, after reading the Abraham & Isaac story and acting on it. I just read Genesis 22, the story of Abraham being asked to sacrifice his son. He lifts a knife to slaughter him and is stopped at the last minute. This story is central to all 3 major world religions. The man in California read it, took it as literal example, and tried to sacrifice his son, claiming God told him to do it. In all due respect to Abraham, if I heard a voice telling me to do that, I wouldn't raise a knife to my son. I'd question the voice and run to a therapist. I'd protect my son, not endanger him. Far too many children have been sacrificed to unjust wars & abusive parents. Looking at the story not just literally, but also as an allegory for the question "What is Your Isaac?," sometimes in life I've observed people with a beloved they need to sacrifice. For example, a romantic obsession over someone they need to detach and let go of, or something they have an unhealthy self-will about and they could benefit from saying, "Not my will, but Thine be done." In my movie, "Baseball's Last Hero: 21 Clemente Stories," Roberto Clemente decides to sacrifice being with his family for New Year's Eve, to go on a mission of mercy to earthquake victims in Nicaragua. The dramatic fulcrum of the film is his grappling with the story of Abraham and Isaac, and coming to his understanding of sacrificial love. The theme is "Greater love has no man, than to lay down his life for his friends..." If you haven't seen the film it's on Amazon and there's also a screening coming up in Long Beach August 16th, tickets at www.brownpapertickets.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home